Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pseudo Eco

Some people have big plans for their home. I didn't even consider owning a home until the grants came along. I had a good long look at something eco. I dabbled with the idea of a home that would covers its own costs with efficiency and solar generation. I soon realised it was outside my budget(sub $300k). However, I learnt I could go part way with good orientation and house design, that wouldn't cost me anything but time and patience. I could go a little further with the right builder and house. I'll talk more about the house in a future post.

I went for affordable. I looked for the cheapest metropolitan place to live in Melbourne(ie. Werribee and Melton). I liked Werribee much better than Melton but it wasn't my ideal site. I wanted to get away from the traffic. I also wanted a town I would only have to leave for work. And bingo, just beyond Melton along a major freeway making a direct line for my workplace in Laverton, Bacchus Marsh. I'll talk more about the specific block of land in my next post.

For those who haven't been there Bacchus Marsh is beautiful and relaxed. Just big enough to have everything you'll ever need. Protected wilderness all around, views of mountains and forests, market gardens. It reminded me of my hometown before people put up fences in their front yards. I feel that once you start shutting out the world the concept of community goes out the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment